Another great soup from Friendly Foods (pg. 60). This one will warm even the Grinch’s heart cockles. :P
I was guessing when shopping, and picked up “Great nothern beans”, which wikipedia tells me are a type of navy bean. Win!
- 2-3 cans Great northern beans (or soak-and-cook your own)
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/4 cup chopped celery (including leaves)
- 1/2 cup leek or cabbage tops
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp majoram
- salt and pepper
- soup stock (Vogue Vegy base or other bouillon)
- 1 Tbsp smoked yeast or 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 strip of kombu, soaked and diced (Japanese seaweed, optional)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cups water
- 3 Tbsp white miso
- scallions for garnish
Saute the beans, carrots, onions, celery, leafy tops and garlic in canola oil for about 5 minutes.
Add the spices.
Add the water, kombu and tomatoes and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Dissolve the miso in a little water and add to the stock. Cook for another 10 minutes and serve it up hot!