This has been a favorite for years – page 152 in Friendly Foods is the most likely page to open if you drop the book on its spine. Totally reliable and hearty fix for a hungry gang.
- 1 1/2 cups of thickly-chopped onions
- 2-3 tsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp parsley
- 2 cups of thickly-chopped mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp red miso
- 2 tsp stone-ground mustard
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2 cups seitan, chopped into bite-size pieces (made from scratch or prepackaged)
- 3 Tbsp arrowroot or corn starch as thickener
- vegan sour cream
- eggless noodles (sometimes called “dumplings”)
Saute onions, garlic, parsley and mushrooms on medium-high heat – enjoy the aroma of this magic combination! :>
Add the mustard, soy sauce, and wine, cooking for another 5-10 minutes.
Add the seitan and let it heat up. Then add the thickener and make sure it cooks with enough heat to thicken up the sauce, then turn it down.
Make one recipe of vegan sour cream, and roll it into the mixture evenly.
Serve it up on thick eggless al dente noodles! A little extra parsley on top makes a nice garnish. A dish to die for.