I created a Raleigh-based meetup group for the Center’s Ignite Change action network. I’m excited to keep it going! (even though the first meeting was a bust because I cluelessly scheduled it to start at the exact moment that the Superbowl started! Doh.)
Here are some teasers for what’s to come. Tropic cascade is a fairly recent famous exciting biological observation showing that apex predators have complex positive effects on the layers of flora and fauna under them. Most famous is the example of the effect of wolves re-introduced to Yellowstone. Here is the link, followed by the TED talk of the guy who basically narrated it before it was brilliantly captured with Yellowstone footage. And more and more real-world amazingness. Fight for it!!
- George Manbiot spins out the initial Yellowstone yarn in 2013
- The amazing and beautiful Yellowstone wolf trophic cascade video
- The scientist who initially lit it on fire (with starfish)
- A longer National Geographic deeper dive into Yellowstone that hopefully survives copyright infringement…
- Trophic cascade, Australian style